Sunday, November 3, 2013

  Same story as yesterday , severe pain . After an hour or so I took a hydrocodone , it took a while to work . Now , 6 or 7 hours later (3pm) I am much better and hoping to be all right the rest of the day . Another 3 hours , still under control without more medication . Got out in the yard to pick up trash and was pleasantly surprised not to find much . With a state highway out front and a 24 hour business next door , some days I could spend hours picking up other people's trash . I know the light exercise helps speed the recovery process but I'm still somewhat short on energy . I hope tomorrow is manageable physically , maybe I can accomplish something productive .
  I haven't talked much yet about Kampsville , so as I have days of comfort I will try to enlighten you , my transient audience . On IL Hwy. 108 , you cross the Illinois River by ferry . This saves miles of travel when open , which is daily except in times of flood or heavy ice . The ferry landing was about a block and a half behind our house . In between was a slightly upscale restaurant/bar/rooming house on the southeast corner of the street behind us , and a small cafe across 108 and slightly closer to the river . Directly across 108 from our house was a gas station/garage , not sure of the brand but maybe DX . My first job , at 12 years of age , summer 1967 , was on a test plot for Funk's "G" Hybrids , a seed corn grower . I got a Social Security card and began contributing to the U.S. Treasury . Funk's was located west of Eldred , IL , and about a mile or so east of the river . To get to work I would ride the free ferry across and walk to the plots . I also mowed lawns for a genuine small businessman . Paulie Sevier was a dwarf , whose daily transportation was the Ford riding mower he used in his work . I pushed a mower and did most of the groundwork .
  I've done well this evening , and this narrative will continue in the near future . For tonight , live , laugh , love , be happy , and may God truly bless you .

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is where you comment on my posts .