Sunday, November 17, 2013

  Just sitting here watching the sky turn black outside my west-facing office window . Tornado warnings everywhere , these late fall warm spells always stir them up . Now , 15 minutes later , blue skies and fluffy white clouds , but the wind is still extreme . The radar shows just a narrow gap in the storms , right over our little town . It passed by rather quickly , now really nice except for the wind . Now it's almost 8pm , and it's still around 60 degrees and windy , we got maybe a 10th inch or less of rain here . Some other places not far away got hit pretty hard . We will be praying for those impacted by these storms . Brookport , New Minden , and Washington in Illinois were some I heard mentioned .
  A couple of days ago I made a note to myself to bring up grammar . I don't have any English or related class credits beyond high school , nor am I a "grammar nazi" . I try to use proper American English grammar and spelling to the extent that I am able , and I have learned that "spell check" isn't nearly as reliable as programmers would like you to believe . I know and freely admit that I write a lot of run-on sentences , use slang and colloquialisms , and phrase things in a first person stream-of-consciousness sort of style . That sentence illustrates this somewhat eloquently , if I say so myself . Oh , yeah , just did . However , I know when I'm doing this , it's part of my style , and I try not to detract from the conveyance of my message . What bugs me most , and inspired this lesson in creative writing , is , of all things , memes . If you're going to paste some witty homily over a random character photograph , at least take the time to research the proper spelling and phrasing to communicate your message . If you don't , not only does it make you look intellectually inferior to those of us who can read and write , it always detracts from the message you are trying to express , except those too stupid to care or know the difference . And that's all I have to say about that . For now , anyway . In proofreading this last paragraph I just edited 3 mistakes of my own , hope I got 'em all . Good evening , be thoughtful and kind , and God bless .

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is where you comment on my posts .