Friday, November 29, 2013

  A long , busy , and very pleasant Thanksgiving day , yesterday . A few years ago we stopped roasting whole birds and went to Butterball whole breasts . This cuts way down on the waste and cooks more quickly . I think this year is the best I've done as far as flavor and juiciness . We did two breasts , in an oval granite ware roasting pan . I rubbed them well with softened butter and seasoned them with salt , black pepper , and Steak 'n' Shake seasoning . I added a scant 1/4 cup of white wine to the pan and covered it tightly with foil . I prefer this to using the roaster lid as it is easier to remove about halfway through the cooking time , which at 325 was about 2&1/2 hours total cook time . After the proper internal temperature was reached we increased the temp to 425 for about 20 min. to enhance the browning . Always use a probe or spike thermometer to check the internal temp of the meat ! Poultry that is not thoroughly cooked can make you very sick . We had our youngest son and daughter , her husband and son , and my son's friend who had no place else to go . We had a very nice meal , a pleasant visit , and pie for dessert .
  Today we had leftovers , one of the few meals I like that way . Yesterday evening my wife went to WalMart to help our daughter get a few items on the flyer . She had our 5 y.o. grandson in her cart , and had one item to grab . Seeing several people with sale items in their buggies about 10 minutes before the designated time , she put a Batman toy in the cart . As she started toward the registers , a female "associate" shouted at her "it's not time yet" , ran over and grabbed the toy from the cart . My grandson looked at my wife and said , " Nana , she's like the Grinch , isn't she ? ". My wife was laughing too hard to complain much , but it's a sad commentary on the attitude of retail employees . My daughter said she watched several people put on coats and other clothing from the sale items and just walk out the door in the midst of the chaos . My grandson said , " Nana , I've never seen WalMart so crazy ! Personally , it's good I didn't go , she'd be trying to gather bail money today . Even with the mood-enhancing drugs I take , I have almost no tolerance for willful stupidity and arrogant assholes .
  I know it's early , but I have managed a few words here , and I take my leave with these : Good night and God bless , all .

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is where you comment on my posts .