Thursday, November 21, 2013

  Aaaannddd.... I said I'd be back , and here I am . Maybe I can keep myself energized enough to think of something to say . Headphones on , the Led Zeppelin station turned up loud on Pandora , enjoying the flow of the music . Hendrix , 'Stones , just keep it coming . What I have to write tonight will not be easy , saying goodbye never is .
  Charlie Phelps was a man of the kind you don't see much of these days . He was a jack of all trades , master of many , and a union carpenter . He taught me most of what I know about working with wood , building houses , and generally getting along in life . He also told me , every carpenter makes mistakes , but the good ones can hide them . A few months ago , at 80 years of age , he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer . The doctors told him he could gain a few months by treatment , but he chose to go home and live as God allowed , without the pain , discomfort and sickness of chemotherapy . I spoke with his nephew a couple months ago , he said he was better some days than others but still getting around . I learned this morning that he had passed Tuesday night , The man who had buried two wives and a daughter from cancer , finally succumbed himself . Charlie was a builder , a logger , a farmer , a mechanic , a mentor , and an honest man . Rest in peace , my old friend , you've earned it .
  It's been a gray , dreary , rainy day , and I don't have the inclination to write more now , so good night , God bless , take care .

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is where you comment on my posts .