Wednesday, January 22, 2014

  Yes , I am here , sorry about yesterday . I was trying to connect with some local homeless folks , but was unable to do so . With wind chills of 20 below at night , and no shelters in town , I fear for their well being , as most seem to be alcoholics or addicts . Of course , that Republitard voice in my head says if they can afford hobby supplies like liquor , smack , and coffin nails , they should re-order their priorities . This dichotomy in thinking is a true moral dilemma for Christians like myself . I am temporarily out of winter coats , but part of me wants to find these guys , get them warmly dressed and fed , and help them find a temperate place to be at night . Temperate , as in moderate temperature , and temperate , as in abstaining from alcohol and drugs . Another part says , if your use of free will means throwing your money away on substances that destroy your life , to the point at which you sleep wherever you can pass out without getting caught , maybe that's what you deserve . There are programs out there to try to deal with these populations , but money is tight for them , and the people aren't usually cooperative . Even if it means crashing in abandoned buildings and 24 hour businesses , as long as they can fuel their vices . I pray God will guide me in this endeavor , as I don't care to see anyone suffer , even if it is by their own hand .
  So , more mundane trivia about my day . I made myself breakfast for lunch , 3 egg omelet with onion , diced tomatoes and chilies , deli ham and shredded colby cheese , sprinkled with sriracha , better than any I have had in a restaurant . Just now , 10:30 PM , I am having tacitos as I work , with more sriracha . Man , I really like this stuff , better than Tobasco or Frank's . I have evolved into a pepper-belly white boy , as many times I have found myself to be a caucasian minority in the workplace , or the neighborhood . I revel in the cross-culturalism that modern life in this great melting pot of a country . Our elder son is day-tripping this job in Missouri with our son-in-law , so he is here in the evenings while this project lasts .
  And , again it's time to leave my brain droppings here , and get some rest . Money is not the root of evil , the love of money is the problem . Greed , in other words . Money is necessary to survive in the world , but how much is enough , after which "more" becomes the object and aspiration of greed . If you're sleeping in a warm bed , eating well , and generally getting by all right , count your blessings . Be satisfied with what you have . Most of us are well blessed by a loving , generous God , and we should be thankful that we are . And there is nothing wrong with money , or the honest accumulation of money , as long as it doesn't replace love , kindness , and generosity in your heart . I seem to have lost my focus here and begun to ramble . So long , good night , and may God continue to bless your lives .

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is where you comment on my posts .